04 November 2007

The Inukshuk




"The Inukshuk (pronounced IN-OOK-SHOOK) are landmarks and beacons once erected in the north to show the traveler their way in a very barren tundra. They endure as eternal symbols of guideance. They stand solid sharing and encouraging the importance of friendship and reminding us of our dependence upon one another. The traditional meaning of an Inukshuk was to act as a compass or guide for a safe journey. Today, this serves as a reminder that we always have a choice in the direction we choose to take in our lives."

as we head fast toward a new year i see this a message of sorts...i scan my landscape daily for any sign of direction...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

sometimes we look so hard for direction we miss what is right in front of us,
sometimes we see what is before us and miss the side road we need to explore,
choices are our directions,
living with the choices is life.

Anonymous said...

at times we are given false direction by others

Anonymous said...

The Road Not Taken

TWO roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

Robert Frost (1874–1963). Mountain Interval. 1920.